What's happening in my Model A Engine shop?
Insert bearing Model A engines I have completed,
Where are they?
Minnesota: 144 Inserted bearing Model A & B engines
North Dakota: 2 Inserted engines
Iowa: 8 Model A & B Engines
Michigan: 1 Inserted Touring
Colorado: 1 inserted Engine
California: 6 Inserted Engines
Louisiana: 1 inserted Engine
Texas: 1 inserted Engine
Currently working on: 3 engines
Catherine's Coupe is almost ready for final coat of primer in these photos. Catherine is planning to visit the painter's shop this week to see the progress and to select colors. See photos below....
I removed the Roof 101 topped engine from my '31 S/W this past Sunday. I noticed a oil leak from the rear of the engine that I could not see the source. I thought it might be leaking from the rear of the camshaft but when the flywheel housing was removed, the sealant was intact. As I continued taking it apart, I noticed the cork seal between the rear cap and the oil pan was loose in the cap. I had used a thin coat of Permatex #2. The material was not thick bodied enough to keep the area sealed. When I put the engine back to gether, I will use Permatex Right-Stuff to hold the seal. While apart, I am installing an additional oil pressure release on the oil pump and will be setting to release at 33# instead of 38#. I am also drilling the crankshaft to supply pressure oil to the rods and making the modifications to the block, which are few, to supply adequate oil to all areas. I am also sourcing a Model B camshaft blank to have ground by Crane Cams to a dual pattern better suited to the Roof 101 Cyclone head I have on this B block. I also plan to increase the compression ratio from 6.5:1 to 7.75:1. I spoke to the manufacturer of this head late last week. He made the compression change on his head and said the performance of the head improved greatly between 2000 rpm and 2800 rpm. It will take about a month to source the parts and make the machining changes. I want to have it back on the road for some tests before the snow starts falling.
I have 7 engine blocks at the maching center being worked on. Three more are at my shop and will soon be taken there also. Lots of work coming up shortly.
I spent the weekend prepping crankshafts for the grinder. Moved the weights on two B crankshafts and drilled them for pressure oil to the rods. Also drilled the late integral weighted 1933 Model B crankshaft from my '31 S/W. I decided to change from dipper to pressure oil to the rods. Photo below is from the start of the setup to remove the pins holding the swedged weights in place. I have a dedicated fixture with "V" blocks to hold crankshafts when working on them.
Here is the typical crack that develops between the
exhaust valve and an adjoining cylinder. Matching cracks in cylinders 2 & 3 in this engine. I would not rebuild this block without sleeving both cylinders and metal stitching the crack.